Are you struggling to lose weight? Are you frequently looking for the next “magic” weight loss supplement or fad diet? Are you losing the same 10-20 pounds, then regaining? We are told it’s all about the mighty calorie. We are told to eat less; exercise more; increase will power-It’s that easy, right? The fact is, we are all unique individuals, biochemically, and need personalized plans, not cookie cutter protocols and quick weight loss scams.

I am here to tell you that it is not all about the calorie and that you that will never be able to out-run your fork. A calorie is a unit of energy and you need energy to get through your day and allow proper function of all of your body systems. A calorie is NOT a calorie, a carbohydrate is not a carbohydrate, a fat is not a fat, and so on. We all need proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, and don’t forget, water, however, we need to look at the quality of the carbohydrate, fat, protein and water. One hundred calories of bread creates very different information for our cells than 100 calories of kale.

Over the years, we have lost sight of the fact that food is information for our bodies. Each and every thing we put into our mouths, the air that we breathe and the stress burden we have become accustomed to, all effect our cellular function.   Each of these things communicates with ours cells, sending messages to our DNA, turning on or suppressing chronic disease expression. The study of epigenetic has taught us that we are not defined by our genes. In fact, genetic expression is only 30% of the equation, the other 70% is dependent on environmental factors, such as: diet, exercise, stress, and toxic burden.

You would never put diesel fuel in your gas powered car, would you? So why do we put non-food items(fast foods, highly processed products, toxic chemicals, etc.) into our bodies, live in constant states of stress and expect it to work without fail?

Things need to change! Americans are becoming increasingly unhealthy as each year passes and developing chronic diseases and auto-immune conditions at an alarming rate. A report came out in 2012, stating that the children born in 2012, had a lower life expectancy than their parents.

According to the CDC:

  • The Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight, including obesity: 69.0% (2011-2012)
  • Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are obese: 35.1% (2011-2012)
  • Percent of adolescents age 12-19 years who are obese: 18.4% (2009-2010)
  • Percent of children age 6-11 years who are obese: 18.0% (2009-2010)
  • Percent of children age 2-5 years who are obese: 12.1% (2009-2010)

Austin family medicine weight loss food companiesThe food and diet industry propaganda helps keep us fat and sick. Lies by the food industry combined with bad government policy based on food industry lobbying are major causes of our obesity and diabetes epidemic. In the book, “Salt, Sugar, Fat: How The Food Giants Hooked Us”, by Michael Moss, a New York Times Journalist, explains how we got here. He features examples from some of the most recognizable (and profitable) companies and brands of the last half century—including Kraft, Coca-Cola, Lunchables, Kellogg, Nestlé, Oreos, Cargill, Capri Sun, and many more—Moss’s explosive, empowering narrative is grounded in meticulous, often eye-opening research on how the food giants keep us running back for more.

It is time to take a stand! Learn the types of things your body needs for optimal function. Our Team at Austin Family Medicine Associates prides themselves in helping you identify your genetic potential and empowering you to reach your specific goals and prevent and/or reverse chronic disease. With the proper nutrition, exercise and stress management, you can live longer, with more vitality.