IBS Is Not Your Destiny
Have you ever been diagnosed with IBS, but left to suffer with the symptoms? Do you have abdominal cramps? Gas and bloating after meals? Diarrhea, constipation or both? Do you have heart burn? Do your symptoms get worse with increased stress? These inconvenient, irritating problems are a collection of symptoms that are often unexplained and labeled with the term IBS( Irritable Bowel Syndrome). The problem is having name or diagnosis does not help the person resolve the problem.
IBS causes visit after visit to multiple doctors in search of answers and leads to high medical costs and many missed days of work and school, not to mention social functions.
The symptoms can be severe and greatly impact quality of life. IBS is caused by a variety of factors including: high stress, food sensitivities, exposure to toxins, bacteria, viruses, parasites, yeast overgrowth and nutrient deficiencies. Getting to the root of the cause is imperative to resolving symptoms.
Below are a few simple steps to get you on your way resolving problematic symptoms:
- Food Sensitivity Testing: I recommend ALCAT food sensitivity testing, which is a simple blood test that can be drawn at Austin Family Medicine Associates.
View: https://www.alcat.com/ for more information.
- Food Elimination Diet: If you can’t afford the test mentioned above, then just eliminate the most common food allergens for 12 weeks, then reintroduce. The most common sensitivities include: milk products, gluten, yeast, eggs, corn, and soy. A food elimination diet can be intimidating. Finding a qualified professional to guide you through the process will help ease difficulties.
- Comprehensive Stool Testing: We use Genova’s GI Effects Stool Profile to address any potential pathogens, inflammation, exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, and more. View a sample report at: https://www.gdx.net/product/gi-effects-comprehensive-stool-test
- Get rid of the unwanted visitors in your small bowel. Balance the good vs. bad bacteria in the gut and remove other pathogens such as yeast and parasites.
- Repopulate your digestive tract with good bacteria. Add a good quality, multi- strain probiotic with pre-biotics. We recommend Endomune Advanced Probiotic , Ultra Flora Spectrum, or Ultra Flora Acute Care from Metagenics. You can order Metagenics products from our on-line store to receive a discount.
- Try digestive enzymes: Take with meals to help break down food while your gut heals.
- Address Nutrient Deficiencies: Proper nutrient absorption is needed in order to obtain optimal cellular function. Each and every biochemical process in your body relies on specific nutrients, making nutrient deficiencies detrimental to health. We offer comprehensive nutrient evaluations through Genova’s NutraEval. View more details here: https://www.gdx.net/product/nutreval-fm-nutritional-test-blood-urine
If you suffer from IBS or other digestive problems, then it would be a good idea to work with a Nutritional Therapist like me, who can address any underlying causes of your digestive distress including food sensitivity, comprehensive stool analysis, and nutrient deficiency testing. There are many factors that affect proper digestion and each must be addressed to resolve the issues and move toward a healthy, functioning digestive track. Call to schedule an appointment to begin resolving your digestive concerns at the root. I’ve had a great success helping many recover from IBS and other digestive disorders and look forward to working with you.
Heather Hanson, Nutritionist