The HCG Diet Program is our most popular weight loss program for one simple reason – it is wildly successful and offers the dieter immediate success! It is an aggressive weight loss program that spans 30 – 40 days and most people should expect to lose approximately a half of a pound per day during this 40 day program.
How does the HCG diet work?
The name, HCG, is an abbreviation for Human Chorionic Gonadotropin, and, it is basically the pregnancy hormone released by the developing fetus. While a mother is pregnant, this hormone prevents the mother’s body from entering the starvation state. Thus, it triggers the body to use its energy stores – fat tissue. The HCG hormone activates fat cells and forces them to release their contents for use by the mother as energy. Simultaneously, it prevents the body from breaking down muscle tissue and utilizing protein as an energy source. While a mother is pregnant, the fetus releases millions of units of HCG; however, while on the diet, you are receiving less than a thousand units per day. The fat releasing, muscle saving effects of HCG work at even low dosages, so you will not feel pregnant or nauseous.
A very important feature of this diet that is often overlooked is the ability for it to reset food cravings and habits. While on the HCG diet, your food intake is limited and restricted; and, therefore, it helps tobreak any food habits that you may have developed over the previous years. If you usually eat Cheeze-It Crackers after work while decompressing and watching TV, you will have forgotten about this habit by the end of the HCG Program.
What can I eat while on the hCG diet?
While you are on the HCG diet, you are given a book that contains a strict regimen of the foods that are allowed. It is a very low calorie diet, and you are only allowed to eat about 750 calories per day. Most of your calories are protein, and this high-protein diet is another way of preserving muscle tissue and only using fat as the body’s energy source. Additionally, you will have a very limited carbohydrate intake, limited fat, but a large intake of lo-carb vegetables. Some fruit is allowed. This low carbohydrate, low fat diet also helps reset your brain. Most Americans are accustomed to eating foods exorbitantly high in carbohydrates and fat. After finishing the HCG program, your expectations have been reset and your brain will be shocked if you try to jump straight back into your pre-HCG diet. It just will not feel right to eat unhealthily after this important 40 day dietary re-set challenge.
What is included with our HCG Diet Program and what makes us different from everyone else?
The HCG diet is our most comprehensive program and several items are included in the total cost.
- Comprehensive Evaluation – The evaluation will include a consultation, physical exam. Our healthcare provider will determine if you need additional testing or if you are healthy enough to start the hCG diet.
- Your Personalized HCG Program Book – A copy of the HCG Diet Program will be given to you. The HCG Book includes the food restrictions, a food diary, and HCG diet-compliant recipes. We encourage you to explore the the many recipe options to addsince eating the same foods repetitively will be difficult for 40 days.
- Your HCG Medication of choice – The diet includes up to 40 days of HCG medication. This hormone is available as an injection. We recommend the injection form since it is slightly more effective than other methods. The injection is performed using an insulin needle which feels like a nothing to no more than a slight prick for less than 2 seconds. Our nursing staff will teach you how to draw and administer the injection from a very thin needle only ¼ inch long. Most people don’t feel it at all!
- Multivitamin (60 capsules) – One bottle of our high-quality multivitamin called Maximum Vitality is included in the price of your program. Since you will be eating a low calorie diet , a multivitamin is essential helpful to feeling energetic while restricting calories and losing weight.
- Magnesium/ Potassium Supplement – While on a low calorie diet, muscle spasms and cramps can occur. Thus, we include a compounded supplement of magnesium and potassium that prevents muscle cramps.
- Weekly MIC Shots – MIC shots once per week are included in the HCG Diet Program. These assist with mobilizing fat out of those stubborn fat stores and resistant fat pockets.
- Weekly Weigh-In – During your MIC Shot visit, our nurses weigh you weekly in order to track your progress. You will have the opportunity to ask them any questions along the way, and the nurses will provide encouraging words throughout the program.
- Dietitian – Two visits with our in-house dietitian are included in the cost. The first visit evaluates your pre-HCG diet and begins discussion about improving your current nutritional intake. The second visit is used to facilitate your transition from the HCG diet back to a normal maintenance diet that supports your new, healthier lifestyle.
- Appetite Suppressants – If you are worried that you will be unsuccessful because of your appetite or hunger, we will prescribe an appetite suppressant without any additional fee. However, the cost of the appetite suppressant is NOT included in the HCG diet.
Even if I ate 500-750 calories per day without HCG I would lose weight!
This statement is partially true. However, your body would quickly enter the starvation state, which is like hibernation. Your energy levels drop, you become irritable, and your basal metabolic rate drastically decreases which minimizes weight loss. Moreover, when you do not eat enough calories, your body steals energy from all tissues, including muscle, bone, sugar stores, and fat cells. You will lose weight on a low calorie diet, but it will not be weight loss from fat stores.
Will I be extremely hungry while eating only 500-750 calories per day?
The combination of the HCG hormone, multivitamin, and MIC shot dampens your appetite and gives you energy, so most people are not hungry or fatigued. However, if you are struggling or worrying about hunger pangs, please discuss this with your healthcare provider, so they can discuss an appropriate appetite suppressant Rx.
Does the HCG diet weight loss program produce permanent weight loss success?
If you strictly followed the HCG diet and finished it to completion, the weight loss from the HCG diet is primarily from fat stores and considered permanent. However, fat cells continue to live unless destroyed by liposuction methods. Therefore, if you increase your caloric intake beyond your basal metabolic rate and exercise, you may regain weight. This is why we include two visits with our in-house dietitian with the HCG Diet Program because we believe that everyone can lose weight and keep it off.
What is an MIC Shot?
The MIC Shot is a combination of Lipo-Plex, B Complex Vitamins (B12, B6, B1), Inositol, and Choline. These vitamins enhance fat mobilization and energy levels. Mobilization of fat is important since your body cannot burn fat unless the adipose cells (fat cells) actually release fat molecules into the blood stream. Once fat is circulating in the blood stream, it is accessible by muscle cells, liver cells, and other tissue to be broken down and used as energy. If fat is not released from its stores, your body will break down muscle tissue instead. MIC shots are a valuable addition to any weight loss regimen, and they can be administered weekly, biweekly, or monthly depending on your schedule.
How long can I continue the HCG Diet Program?
The HCG Diet Program is an aggressive weight loss program, and it is not safe to continue long term. The HCG Diet Program can be repeated, but you will need to discuss it with your healthcare provider. It can also repeated after a one month break.
Why is physician supervision for weight loss important?
Unexpected events can occur while undergoing medication for weight loss; therefore, it is important to be completely evaluated before beginning any medication for weight loss. Many of the appetite suppressants affect the cardiovascular system, and they can raise blood pressure, cause fast heart rates, and uncover unknown heart conditions.
Are weight loss programs covered under insurance?
No, weight loss programs are not currently covered by insurance. Weight problems are not considered a disease by insurance companies, and they do not comprehend the long-term benefits of weight reduction, including less strokes and heart attacks, lower cholesterol levels, decreased blood pressure, improved joint function, and many more health benefits.
Read Dr. Sharon Sneed’s HCG diet blog here